1581 Robert Corbet built Stanwardine Hall. He was the younger son of the family of Corbet, of Moreton, who was Sheriff in 1530. He married the daughter and heiress of Roger Kynaston of Walford and Stanwardine whose great grandfather was Griffin Kynaston. As well as Stanwardine Robert Corbet held land at Hampton wood, Sugdon, Burlton, Wykey, Marton and Newton on the Hill.
He had two sons, Thomas and Richard, and a daughter who married Phillip Young of Keinton.
The younger son, Richard, was a barrister and a steward to the Earl of Arundel.
The old moated hall was converted into a garden.3
On the wainscot of the hall is a scroll with the date 1588, and the steps of the staircase are of solid blocks of oak, brought from the older house.4