In 1861 Lang Bridge with wife Elizabeth lived at Accrington House, Accrington. They shared the mansion house with the Barnes family. The house was demolished in 1889. No evidence of it can now be seen but it occupied the area where Oswald Street is now.
Lang Bridge was a Cotton Manufacturer and was born in Accrington.
He had married Elizabeth by 1841 when he was 24 and she was 22. He described himself as a Calico Printer.
In 1861 they had three children: Joseph (age 13), Alfred (age 9), Arthur (age 5 who was subsequently to marry Susannah Howarth), Edwin Bridge (age 5), and Mary Bridge (age 4).
They had two servants: Ellen Gifford (age 24) and Mary Worcrofs (age 24).
Below Information kindly provided by Alan Whiteley:
Baptised at St James' Church, LAN Accrington [
C1817: IGI Batch Number 8810233, Sheet 23, Source Call Number 1553222]; calico printer of Warner Street, LAN New
B1846]; manufacturer, one of a
firm of two, employing 42 males, 28 females & 4 labourers, of Warner Street, LAN New Accrington, aged 34 years (
born in LAN New
C5:HO107/2250/483/38]; manufacturer of Warner Street, LAN Accrington [
C1852]; Warner Street, LAN Accrington [
B1852]; manufacturer of St James' Street, LAN
C1854]; manufacturer of Burnley Road, LAN Accrington [
C1856]; cotton manufacturer employing 579 hands of Accrington House, LAN New Accrington, aged 43
years (born in LAN Accrington) [C6:RG9/3063/127/50-128/51]; manufacturer of silk, wool & cotton cloths mixed, employing 162 men, 311 women, 50 boys & 68 girls, of
Accrington House, LAN New Accrington, aged 53 years (born in LAN Accrington) [C7:RG10/4143/132/25]; cloth salesman & dealer, of 11 Polygon, Broughton , LAN Salford
[C8:RG11/3954/116/3]; GRO: LAN Salford 8d 50, aged 67 years [D1884Q3]
Accrington Men of Mark (1924): "Lang Bridge, cotton manufacturer; died Aug 20 1884, aged 67. Born in Plantation Street, Mr Lang Bridge came from a family well-known in
Accrington. In his young days he was a block-printer at Plantation Mill. He and Mr William Barnes commenced business as fent dealers, and afterwards entered the cotton trade
at Park Mill. For some years Mr Bridge lived in a portion of Accrington House, the other part being occupied by his partner, Mr Barnes. He died in Manchester."
Park Mill built c1851 by Lang Bridge and William Barnes (William was the very first person to be buried in Burnely Rd cemetery)
Nearly 1000 looms in this mill, they dyed their own yarn on the site. Products included plain and fancy goods in cotton, silk, and worsted fabrics. various owners till early 1900's.
after WW11 there was a reduction in looms. in 1959 mill closed. in 1965 Associated Dairies acquired the mill for use as a repair and garage area
Park mill or Park shed was located between Park Street and Gillies street. https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=_nylBAAAQBAJ&pg=PA51&lpg=PA51&dq=%22park+mill%22+accrington&source=bl&ots=n16dNXLB93&sig=4F8smzValdODwPb7JdoLvxc8-ew&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiTorX9ntLJAhXionIKHe7RC20Q6AEIWzAK#v=onepage&q=%22park%20mill%22%20accrington&f=false