Malvern College First World War Casualty

2nd Lieut Alexis Cowper Honey

Photo of Alexis Cowper Honey
House and time at Malvern: No 2, 1913 - 1917.

Regiment: Worcestershire Regt.
Died: 10 February 1918 aged 20 in France. Died of wounds.
Cemetery: Etaples Military Cemetery XXVIII E 9

Son of Mrs. A. L. Honey, of Cowper's House & Houghton, Huntingdon, Hunts, and the late Rev. Albert Alexis Honey. Native of Huntingdon. b. 1898.
Middle V—Lower VI. Senior Chapel Prefect. XI Cricket; XI Football; Ledbury Cap. Cadet Officer.
4th Bn. Worcestershire Regiment.

'A. C. Honey only left School last April for a course at an Officers' Cadet Unit at Firbright, after which he obtained a commission in the Worcesters, and went to the front. He was wounded on November 30, a bullet passing through his left arm, lacerating the lung and breaking a rib. After ten weeks of patient suffering, he died on February 10. As Alec Honey belonged to the generation of most of the present members of the School, his loss will be keenly felt. His shyness and reserve restricted his circle of intimate friends, but those who knew him best entertained a strong affection for him, and respected him for the seriousness of purpose and unfaltering sense of justice and duty which he showed in every action. Not a few of his contemporaries owed more than they knew to his wholesome influence. He was modest to a fault, and could never see any merit in his own performance, though he was a natural and proficient games player. His remarkable achievement in his first summer term marked him out as a cricketer of great promise, for in one of the Junior House matches he made 176 not out in the first innings, and followed it up in the second innings with 268. He gave every promise of a successful career at Oxford, where he had already entered at Brasenose College. He was not destined to outlive by many months his school career, but even in the short period of his military service he amply fulfilled the expectations of those who knew and loved him most.' (Malvernian, Mar 1918).

He was wounded at Cambrai on the 30th November 1917 and died of wounds on the 10th February 1918 at No. 20 General Hospital, Camiers, France.
Biography at Worcestershire Regiment